Ramah is a place to call home; a place for family.  A place where people care about each other.  A place to cry, laugh, and celebrate with one another.  Here at Ramah every man, woman and child is valued and loved.  Every stranger is welcomed.

“They Would Call It Ramah Grove,  A History of Ramah Presbyterian Church” by Nell Bradford Jenkins was published in 1999 and excerpts have been taken from this book in order to provide the following information about Ramah’s history.

Sometime just past the mid-1700’s a group of Christians, mostly Scots-Irish, gathered together on a slight rise just above a creek and made plans to build a brush arbor under which they could worship God.  It would be called Ramah Grove.

The first log structure or session house was said to be in place in 1783.  They looked to the Bible for a name for this new meeting house and the name they chose was Ramah.  Ramah was of Biblical origin, Ramah being a town in the inheritance of Benjamin which was near the frontier between the kingdoms of Israel and Judah.

The current place of worship used by Ramah Presbyterian Church today was built in 1881.  The Education Building was dedicated in 1958.  The Amphitheater was dedicated at Homecoming in 1997.

Mr. John Carrigan was the first pastor of Ramah Presbyterian Church and served from 1795-1805.

Mr. Benjamin Brown was the first person buried in the Ramah Cemetery in 1801.

Ramah Church is located about five miles southeast of Davidson College in Mecklenburg County.  The head branches of Coddle Creek and Rocky River run through the territory occupied by this congregation.